Traveling overland from Peru to Bolivia through Lake Titicaca. I know US citizens need a visa to enter so can this be done easily at the border or in Cuzco? How long does it take to process if so?
I was there more than 10 years ago but a talking point among travellers in South America during 2007 were the proposed changes to the entry requirements for American travellers heading to Bolivia effective from Dec 2007.
There has since been some confusion regarding the requirements so here are the exact requirements as requested on the Peru/Bolivia border:
- The form “Declaración Jurada de Solicitud de Visa“ (available to fill out at the border).
- A valid Passport
- Photocopy of round-trip ticket or travel itinerary
- Proof of economic solvency (i.e. credit card)
- International certification card of Yellow Fever vaccination
- Payment of US$100 for the issue of the visa
For further information visit the U.S. Embassy web site in La Paz. For other nationalites check with the Bolivian embassy in your country to confirm whether your entry requirements for Bolivia have changed in any way.
And BTW - La Paz is simply breathtaking in more ways than one!
http://journals.worldnomads.com/simon_monk/story/26/Bolivia/La-Paz almost 7 years ago